The Blue Earth County Library Systems (BECLS) annual Summer Reading Program will begin on June 1, 2021, kicking off two months of activities designed to keep children’s minds engaged over the summer break. The theme for this year’s program is “Trails & Tales”. Children of all ages are invited to take part in a variety of exciting and educational outdoor events, pick up weekly Take-and-Make project kits, and—of course!—read as much as they can. Summer Reading Program participants will track the books they read throughout June and July and receive prizes from the library for their reading achievements.
The BECLS understands that distance learning may have posed challenges to students’ intellectual development over the past year, so now a great time to inspire and enable good habits of reading and learning during the summer. Library staff has worked hard to develop activities and goals that will make the 2021 Summer Reading Program a fun, encouraging, and invigorating way for children to continue learning outside the classroom. The program is designed to activate the brain and stimulate the imagination, helping children of all ages and interests stay on track for the coming school year.
The Summer Reading Program calendar will include events at Sibley Park and outside of all three library branches, including:
• A writing workshop with Minnesota Book Award finalist Kirstin Cronn-Mills
• A comic book workshop with author-and-illustrator duo Stephen and Trisha Speed Shaskan
• A presentation on pirates by educator Arn Kind
• A demonstration from yo-yo master Dazzling Dave
• A “Junk Funk Drumming” extravaganza with Marc Anderson
• “Tales Away!” with comedian Toby KID Klauenberg
• “The Music of Maud Hart Lovelace” with singer Maud Hixson
• Visits from the Reptile and Amphibian Discovery Zoo, the Hasse Family Petting Zoo, and the University of Minnesota’s Raptor Center
The Summer Reading Program is made possible with the support of many generous sponsors including, but not limited to the Glen Taylor Foundation, the Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund of Minnesota, and the Mankato Moondogs. A complete list of sponsors can be found at http://www.beclibrary.org/DocumentCenter/View/1022/Sponsors-2021.
For more information, please visit www.beclibrary.org or call 507-304-4001.