The local River Valley Extension Master Gardeners will host a variety of special programs, workshops and activities at the Blue Earth County Library February 21-25 as part of Garden Party events gearing patrons up for the spring growing season.
“We’re excited to further our partnership with the River Valley Extension Master Gardeners and offer a number of new opportunities for the public to visit the Blue Earth County Library and learn,” stated Tim Hayes, Blue Earth County Library Director.
The following events are free and open to the public:
Tuesday, February 21
- 10 a.m. - Garden Display: A special informative display will be set-up throughout the week near the fountain for public viewing.
- 6:30 p.m. - Introduction to Vegetable Gardening and Seed Starting Demonstration: Joyce Wilcox a Nicollet County Master Gardener will lead the demonstration.
Thursday, February 23
- 10:30 a.m. – Children’s Story Time: Lead by Barb Lamson, Blue Earth County Master Gardener.
- 12:15 p.m. – Fresh Flowers in the Grocery Cart: A lunch and learn to see what grocery stores now offer customers to pick up on their weekly visit. All participants will be given a fresh cut flower. The program will be given by Ruth Swenson, Downtown Hy-Vee Floral.
- 3:30 p.m. – Growing Herbs Indoors and Out: Presented by Amanda Appel, Blue Earth County Master Gardener.
Saturday, February 25
- 10:30 a.m. – Square Foot Gardening: Given by Karen Wright, Blue Earth County Master Gardener.
- 11:30 a.m. – What About the Weather – Future Trends: Presented by Sara Knox, KEYC-TV Meteorologist.
- 1:30 p.m. – Planting a Spring Bulb Garden: Lead by Mary Beth Gullickson, Cedar Brook Garden Center – New Prague, MN.
- 2:30 p.m. – Garden for the Birds: Given by Al Batt, a writer, speaker, storyteller and humorist from Hartland, MN.
All events will take place at the Blue Earth County Library located at 100 E. Main Street, Mankato. For questions or more information contact the Blue Earth County Extension Office at (507) 304-4325. Further event information is available on the Blue Earth County Library System website at www.beclibrary.org.