Household Hazardous Waste Facility Closes for the Season: Take Note of Winter Storage Tips
The Blue Earth County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility and Product Reuse Center have closed for the season. They will remain closed until the first Tuesday in April, 2017. The Facility and adjacent Product Reuse Center serve residents in Blue Earth, Nicollet, Sibley and LeSueur Counties, taking in household hazardous waste free of charge.
The most common item brought to the HHW Facility is paint. A year-round option for people to safely dispose of paint now exists through the Minnesota Paint Care Program. Several retailers will accept up to five gallons of architectural paint each day at no charge. To check current locations that accept paint, visit www.paintcare.org/paintcare-states/minnesota/.
To properly store household hazardous waste products over the winter, follow these simple steps:
• Keep products away from hear sources, such as furnaces, as many release dangerous gases if they catch fire
• Do not store products where they can freeze
• Keep products in the original containers, with labels attached
• Do not mix products
• Keep out of the reach of children and pets
• Check containers occasionally to make sure they are not leaking
For more information, call the 24 Hour Waste and Recycling Hotline at 507-304-4242, or visit the Blue Earth County website at www.blueearthcountymn.gov.