One thing people might not associate the holiday season with is the amount of waste that comes with it. The days between Christmas and New Years are a time for get-togethers among family and friends, but it’s also the most waste-producing time of year. Packaging, gift wrap and food waste all add up around the holidays.
The following are some tips to reduce waste and potentially save money in the process:
• Choose gifts with minimal packaging – packaging is expensive and often immediately thrown away
• Look for packaging that is recyclable
• Avoid using gift wrap – use alternatives such as newspaper, old road maps, sheet music, or something that can become part of the gift such as towels or baskets
• Use real dishes as opposed to paper plates and plastic utensils
• Borrow a recycling container for parties and family events to make recycling easier – recycling containers may be reserved free of charge through Blue Earth County by calling (507) 304-4381
• Know what can be recycled and recycle it! Items that cannot be recycled include wrapping paper, paper plates, plastic silverware and foam plastic. Film plastic, such as plastic bags can be recycled at local retail stores.
For more information about holiday recycling tips visit www.blueearthcountymn.gov/recycling or contact Blue Earth County Environmental Services at (507) 304-4381.