All applicants must arrive before 4:00 p.m. to apply for a marriage license.
Applying for a Marriage License
Complete and submit your Marriage License Application online at home anytime or at the counter of Vital Records at the Blue Earth County Government Center, Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
You must arrive at the License Center no later than 4:00 p.m. with all the necessary papers.
As of August 1, 2016, there is no longer a 5-day waiting period for most marriage applications, however the following requirements still apply:
- Per Minnesota Statute 517, the State of Minnesota requires both applicants to appear in person for the processing of the marriage license application.
- Identification and social security numbers for each party is required.
- If either or both applicants has/have been married previously, information regarding the termination of the most recent marriage is required (date, court, place).
- Fees: $40 with a Premarital Education Certificate. $115 without a Premarital Education Certificate. No refunds. Payment must be made by cash, check, or money order. Note, prices subject to change.
- You may apply up to 6 months in advance of the wedding.
Note: Applicants are encouraged to share the officiant information with whomever is performing the ceremony.
Premarital Education Certificate
Couples can receive a discounted marriage license application fee by obtaining a Premarital Education Certificate that states they have received at least 12 hours of premarital education that includes the use of a premarital inventory and the teaching of communication and conflict management skills.
Requirements of Educator’s Statement are set out in statute and are as follows:
- Must be on the educator’s letterhead
- Educator’s statement must be notarized (Effective July 1, 2010 - Educator’s statement must be notarized OR marked with a church seal)
- Must have completed 12 hours of education
- Educator’s statement must be presented at the time of application - no refunds given
- Education must be provided by a licensed or ordained minister or designee authorized to solemnize marriages under M.S. 517.18 or licensed to practice marriage and family therapy under M.S. 148B.33
- Local registrar must retain educator’s statement for 7 years
- Legal names of both applicants must be on educator’s statement and these names must be identical to the names on the marriage application
Statute specifically requires the statement from the person who provided the premarital education under paragraph (b) must be in the following form:
"I, __________________ (name of educator), confirm that ________________ (names of both parties) received at least 12 hours of premarital education that included the use of a premarital inventory and the teaching of communication and conflict management skills. I am a licensed or ordained minister, a person authorized to solemnize marriages under Minnesota Statutes, Section 517.18, or a person licensed to practice marriage and family therapy under Minnesota Statutes, Section 148B.33."
M.S.517.08, Subd. 1(c)
(c) The marriage license fee for parties who have completed at least 12 hours of premarital education is $40. In order to qualify for the reduced license fee, the parties must submit at the time of applying for the marriage license a statement that is signed, dated, and notarized OR marked with a church seal from the person who provided the premarital education on their letterhead confirming that it was received. The premarital education must be provided by a licensed or ordained minister or the minister’s designee, a person authorized to solemnize marriages under Section 517.18, or a person authorized to practice marriage and family therapy under Section 148B.33. The education must include the use of premarital inventory and the teaching of communication and conflict management skills.
Obtaining a Marriage Record
- Information needed to obtain a marriage record: names of applicants before marriage and date of marriage.
- Records of marriage applied for in Blue Earth County are on file from 1865 to the present.
- All marriage records prior to 1997 are "public" records. Records after 1997 contain some confidential information and must be partially restricted before public viewing.
- If you would like to see if we hold the marriage record you are looking for, please check the MN Official Marriage System (MOMS) website.
Certified Copy of Marriage Record Request
- Fill out a Certified Copy of Marriage Request Form and mail to: Blue Earth County Vital Records, PO Box 3524, Mankato, MN 56002-3524
- Requests by mail must include a $9 fee for each certified or non-certified copy requested.
Vital Records Research
Vital Research Records are available in the Public Research Room at the Blue Earth County Government Center, 410 S 5th Street in Mankato. Researchers should check in at the License Center on 1st floor for directions.
Note: If Blue Earth County staff assist with research, a $50 per hour fee (minimum of one hour) will be charged.