Land Disturbance Permit

On December 12, 2017, the Blue Earth County Board of Commissioners adopted the MS4 - Construction Site Runoff Control Ordinance.  The Ordinance establishes standards and requirements for erosion, sediment and waste control measures to be taken during the development of and alterations to lands within the Blue Earth County MS4 area. It also established a Land Disturbance Permit.  

A County Land Disturbance Permit is required when construction projects:

  • Disturb 5,000 square-feet or more land in the Rural Townsite, Rural Residence, Heavy Industry, Light Industry, General Business, or Highway Business Zoning Districts in South Bend Township
  • Disturb 1-Acre or more in the Agriculture or Conservation Zoning Districts in South Bend Township.

A County Land Disturbance Permit is required before any land disturbances are started and the permit application will be processed with a County Construction Permit.  The information required to apply for a Land Disturbance Permit is listed below.  If you have any questions about the permit or application process please contact Blue Earth County Property and Environmental Resources Department at (507) 304-4251 or via email .    

Information Required for a Land Disturbance Permit

  • A completed Land Disturbance Permit Application.
  • A site plan showing existing and proposed:
    • Property lines; Roads; Structures and buildings; Driveway(s) and means of ingress and egress and circulation; Parking areas and other impervious surfaces; Sewer lines and all portions of septic systems; Wells and water lines; Wetlands and wetland protection easements; Public waters located on or within 100 feet of the subject property; Stormwater drains, footing tile drain outlet locations, and drainage ways on or adjacent to the subject property; Soil stockpiles; Topographic contours at one or two foot contour intervals; (Other site specific information that reasonably may be required in order for an informed decision to be made by the approving authority)
  • A site plan or plans that show the proposed measures to control sediment and erosion.
    • In cases where 1-acre of land or more is proposed to be disturbed, a Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) and copy of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Construction Stormwater Permit. (Note: Whenever any construction activity disturbs 1-acre or more of soil in Minnesota, an MPCA NPDES Construction Stormwater Permit is required.)
  • Land Disturbance Permit fee:
    • $200 for land disturbances under 1-Acre
    • $450 for land disturbances of 1-Acre or More