Election Judge Training
Election Judges in Blue Earth County must complete training before being appointed to serve. To begin this process, learn more about becoming an Election Judge and apply here.
After you apply and are accepted as an Election Judge, you will get an email with information for completing the county's training. Sometimes that email goes to spam or junk folders, so please watch for it. It will come from an email that ends with ...@modus-elections.com. Once all training is completed, we will communicate with you about your Election Day assignment and location to work as an Election Judge.
The County's training includes several modules that we call "steps". Training is based on the Election Judge's role (some of our judges are Head Judges or Health Care Facility Judges). Training is in-person, but you will find links to refresher videos and the classroom presentations below.
Our Election Judge training follows Minnesota State law, but it is made specific to Blue Earth County. It covers Election Judge duties, demonstrates some of our elections equipment, and much more.
Election Judge Certification and Pay
Your training certification will be sent to the clerk who hired you or will be provided to you no later than when you report to your assigned polling place on Election Day.
Election judges are paid for training if you serve on Election Day. Please be aware that if you do NOT work an election, you may not receive payment for training.
Election judges may not receive their payment for up to 4-5 weeks after the election they work due to post-election workload, but it will be processed as soon as possible.
Election Judge MaterialsHere are the 2022 training modules (note, viewing these materials is not a substitute for the official training):
- Rules and Processes for Election Judges
- Presentation Slides
- Part 1 Video
- Part 2 Video
- Aging Sensitivity Training for Election Judges Video
- Blue Earth County's Elections Equipment
- Introduction to Elections Equipment Video | Presentation Slides
- Election Day Equipment
- Equipment Set Up and Tear Down Video | Presentation Slides
- DS200 Ballot Tabulator Overview Video
- DS200 Ballot Tabulator Use Video
- OmniBallot Assistive Voting Device Overview Video
- OmniBallot Assistive Voting Device Use Video
- PollPad Electronic Roster Overview Video
- PollPad Electronic Roster Use Video
Head Election Judge Materials
Our leaders in the Polling Place, called Head Judges, complete additional training:
- Managing the Polling Place Presentation Slides
Health Care Facility Materials
Health Care Facility (HCF) Judges provide voting assistance to residents of Health Care Facilities at those locations. Here is the training for HCF Judges:
- Health Care Facility Voting Assistance Video | Presentation Slides
- Reminder to view the Aging Sensitivity training video listed above
Election Clerk Materials
City, Township, and School District Clerks are the local administrators of their elections. They receive additional training for each election cycle. Here are the 2022 materials:
Additional Resources and Materials
Additional Election Judge Training Videos from 2016 are provided by the Minnesota Secretary of State.
Secretary of State Election Judge Videos
Secretary of State Website
Secretary of State Election Judge Website
Election Judge Guide
Election Judge Workbook
Copies of Election Judge Guides may also be obtained from Blue Earth County Elections.